Sunday, January 6, 2008

...Knitting Words

I was looking through Life's latticed windows yesterday and memories were flashing by like a film on fast-tracks. I saw myself growing up: fighting with my sister, hugging my mom, arguing my point, laughing with my friends over a cup of coffee, giving missed calls, walking on the white beach sand with a friend, understanding a lot of thing through a few tacit words.... And then I looked at the words I had written a few weeks back....
I am hurt
I am pained
I am cindered
I am slain.
- SRM (Sakshi)
It seemed so complete then. And as I looked at it yesterday, as memories were flashing past, through smiles and tears, I somehow thought that those were still hollow. I thought of something and added another line. It now reads:
I am hurt
I am pained
I am cindered
I am slain
I am healed.
- SRM (Sakshi)
When I re-read these lines I was dumstruck.I was awed not by what I had written, but by the twist in the meaning of what I had written. I've always liked to read and write since a child. But I never thought of words as I did right then. Have you ever thought of how letters are embroidered into words, texts, passages and the finally pages and books? And knitting those words isn't simple. Really, i am quite astound. Adding a line changed a lot in what I wrote. And those very words give meaning to your life. If you are an avid reader you would know what I mean. Being one myself, books gave me a lot.

When I was doing my thesis; I had the most difficult time, I re-read the book, 'Jonathan Livingston Seagull' and it gave new meaning to my quest for knowledge. There was another time; the lowest in my life; when I read 'The Zahir', and it pulled me out of whatever I was going through. And what were these? In reality, they were nothing but mere words nestled in those pages, passages, texts and lines. Somewhere between those lines, sometimes, you find a time to rend and a time to sew. Sometimes, you find a new meaning to life. Sometimes a wake up call. Sometimes a helping hand. And sometimes just plain knowledge. Those words never leave you empty, that is for sure. And then I remember these words, I dont know who wrote them, but yes, they are full of meaning:

"Whenever the casual eyes are cast
The mighty minds of old
My never failing friends are they
With whom I converse day by day"

3 comments:

k said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
k said...

Hey, this is really something with which i associate with.... also many times the books explain some things we feel more lucidly with the right words.....

let it flow.... its really beautiful...

also heres the entire Robert
Southey poem:

MY days among the Dead are past; Around me I behold,
Where'er these casual eyes are cast,
The mighty minds of old:
My never-failing friends are they,
With whom I converse day by day.

With them I take delight in weal
And seek relief in woe;
And while I understand and feel
How much to them I owe,
My cheeks have often been bedew'd
With tears of thoughtful gratitude.

My thoughts are with the Dead; with them
I live in long-past years,
Their virtues love, their faults condemn,
Partake their hopes and fears;
And from their lessons seek and find
Instruction with an humble mind.

My hopes are with the Dead; anon
My place with them will be,
And I with them shall travel on
Through all Futurity;
Yet leaving here a name, I trust,
That will not perish in the dust.

Poornima said...

shilpa....this is the first time I am reading ur blog....n i loved this post...as Kedar says I also could associate myself with it....change in meaning just by one word...re-reading the book which reveals different links and meaning everytime...

Looking forward to read more on more on ur blog.....