Friday, May 29, 2009

The Tambi

He came over to this part of the office early at 9 in the morning. We were supposed to complete an assignment. He had come over to see how far we had reached with the assignment.
He pulls a chair and sits beside me.
I get this strong smell. A smell I have known since childhood. My dad used to use it too.
Its almost a mark of a Tambi -
The Mysore Sandal!
Typical.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tambi, for those of you who don't know, is a word commonly used for a Tamilian (someone who is from Tamil Nadu, India). But if for someone in Delhi, everyone who is from down south is a Tambi (I often use Tambi in this sense).

Mysore Sandal is a famous South Indian brand that sells products (soaps, talcum powder)that has the smell of sandal wood.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

arrey!! you skipped explaining to the unknowing public what tambi means :)

Shilpa Ramesh Maiya said...

Gosh... I dont think i would want to! :)

Stephen said...

Hi,

Tambi means younger brother in Tamil!!!