Monday, November 14, 2011

Rajdhani

Situated between the Yamuna and the Arawali is the ancient capital of Sahajahen's Kingdom. The city has been the capital of the country for a hundred years now. This city, Delli, as it is more commonly called, is now my refuge.

My new 'nest' is amid the many embassies, in a locality where there are more dogs, watchmen and servants than landlords! Its a part of Delhi where blue plated cars and Porches' are a commonplace. Its a locality where the who's - who of Delhi live. Yet, in this part of Delhi, believe me, where you see the unemployed men tarry the lanes of the locality. It is also in this locality, I hear, the Nigerian drug racquet's run!  And there is so much more to learn!

During my first outing around Delhi, I was tempted to have my all time favourite - pav bhaji. The spelling should have alarmed me, but it did not. It so happened that I ordered 'pao' bhaji - and that was what I got. The 'pao' was the bread that is usually served with burgers. 'Oh', was all I could manage. As I had the first bite of my 'pao' bhaji, the potatoes cooked in tomato puree, made me say 'Oh no!'.

A new lesson was learnt in the rajdhani. In Rome do as the Romans do! In Delhi, the pav bhaji be damned, have channa bhatura instead! 

4 comments:

Chaitali... said...

hahaha nice one...me kaalach paV bhaaji khalli! :)

Meera Bhat said...

Try the chhole kulchas and parathas at the roadside stalls at Lajpat nagar or any other punjabi neighbourhooods.....Also interesting is how they make anda paranthas! The only place where pav bhaji and vada pav is worth a try is the maharashtra stall in dilli haat! Also the roadside momos are awesome!

Anonymous said...

LOl! Shilpa that is so us...we always tend to learn things the hard way...isn't it?

Shilpa Ramesh Maiya said...

@ Chai - you know its the 'V' that makes all the difference?

@ Meera - have tried the vada pav at Dilli Haat, wasn't bad. Still learning to co-ordinate gaoing to a particular place and and having a particular type of food. Hopefully I will soon catch up.

@ po - bad habits die hard woman! Besides, our's are a bit peculiar...