Friday, February 22, 2008

Struggling to find time

All the time in the world and not a nanosecond to spare!

I've been working even on weekends since the last two weeks, analysing (or at least trying to analyse) data. Alas, the data is not as simple as one would think. Numbers are easy to analyse, but words...? I have been trying to analyse some interviews, and you have to trust me when I say that it is no simple undemanding task. These interviews lasted for an average of an hour and half which means the transcripts and an average 25 pages long. Reading one transcript (sincerely and critically) takes an average two hours. But analysing such 7 transcripts? Phew...

Tell me tell you what analysing means. Analysing reading and re-reading the transcripts thoroughly, putting the issues raised in several boxes, shifting to and fro between each respondent on each of the topics, then re-reading it all again so that you do not miss out an important link, then start writing (typing) each of these neatly.

And once you write, the Prof will say; "How about looking at the issue in this way". Huh?

All the weeks work goes down the drain.

Thank God, he gave man the brains to invent the Computer. Thank God someone had the brains to come up with WORD. And above all, thank God someone came up with QSR7 Nvivo! Else where would I be.... finding my way in the labyrinth of data!



No comments: